I never went to school yet I have written books —Elebuibon




At the popular old garage in Osogbo, a big bill board is erected bearing the image of Elebuibon and welcoming guests to his birthday. 

Elebuibon on his journey to the 70th year. 

Congratulations on your 70th birthday anniversary sir.

Thank you very much. 

You will also reach the age and grow beyond it.

How would you describe your self?

How else do I describe myself than all you know? 

I am Ifayemi Osundagbonu Elebuibon. 

I was born and bred in Osogbo in Oluode Aturuku compound.

We are the lineage of Olutimehin with whom Osogbo was founded. 

In fact, it was Olutimehin’s action that provoked the reaction of Osun spirit that eventually made him and Larooye to reply ‘Oso Igbo e pele o’ (Forest wizard, we are sorry). 

Osogbo derived its name from that incident.

Your middle name ‘Osundagbonu’ directly links you with Osun, the river goddess?

 Does it mean you are also an Osun faithful aside the Ifa which you are arguably synonymous with?

The name has to do with the circumstances surrounding my birth. 

It was revealed to my father that my mother, who had suffered abiku would have a male child; and that the child would take after him in Ifa divination. 

When my mother was searching for pregnancy as it used to be said among women, she was warned against taking any herb. 

She was rather told to go to Osun River every week to fetch water which she must drink. 

She had a pot in his room inside which she poured the water.

So, my mother got pregnant and later had me. 

That is the connection. 

Details of this are contained in my autobiography.

How do you feel at 70?

I am feeling very good; very, very good because I am living the life of my destiny.

How do you mean by this?

I told you that my birth had been foretold as heir apparent of my father’s Ifa divination. 

Can you now see where we are today? 

I am the Araba of Osogboland and a renowned name in the society. 

What else can I ask for? 

That is what I meant by living my destiny. 

It is very important parents make consultation on their oncoming children. 

It will serve as a road map on the life journey of the children. 

But because of the influence of foreign religions, this aspect of our life, as Yoruba, has been abandoned and is even being criticized. 

The result is what we see in the society today.

Are you saying you are fulfilled at 70?

That is what I mean.

I am fulfilled and still doing my best to achieve more. 

Because of my tight schedule, I don’t feel that number, except that everybody calls me Baba Araba. 

It has been a journey to be remembered.

Are there some obstacles you met on the journey?

There are so many obstacles, but above all, I am happy that as they came, I surmounted them. 

Challenges are part of human life. 

They serve different purposes for the development of man. 

All challenges I faced are part of the history of my life.

Can you recall a particular one that shook you?

I should not go into the specifics now because of time and space. 

My real life challenge started soon after my father passed on and his funeral rite. 

The death of my father changed my life. 

That was when I left my mother for the house of my master at Oke Popo axis of the town. 

It was an unforgettable chapter of my life but as I have said, it was for a purpose. 

My mother was alive and saw what I was passing through. 

But because she knew better, she did not behave like any other mother who would take her son away from the master. 

She knew I would survive it and I did survive and became a success.

It is on record that you did not attend any formal school, yet you speak English and write books. 

Can you tell how you were able to achieve this unusual feat?

It is true I never saw the four walls of any classroom but I am happy that through determination I broke that obstacle. 

When I was undergoing apprenticeship under my master, I was stealing knowledge from my age mates who were attending schools.

But my master must not see me near them. 

It was a taboo which attracted severe punishment seeing me with a book or biro. 

That was why I said I stole knowledge from my mates.

I needed to hide to listen to what their home teacher was teaching them. 

That was how it began until exposure came.

I later became a visiting lecturer in the United States (U.S) I write and deliver my papers.

President Muhammadu Buhari is recuperating abroad and is the subject of public discussion back home.

As a traditionalist, what do you think will happen at the end of the day?

What is important at this juncture, as regards the president, is our prayer for him. 

Governance in Nigeria is more complex than what the public react to on the papers and radio and television. 

It is not so abroad where transparency is their watchword. 

I should not generalise though. 

But on the president, we shall continue to wish him well and call on politicians to be fair.

The insecurity in Ikorodu caused by a cultists’ gang forced the traditional ruler of the town to seek the assistance of traditionalists. 

What is your take on this?

This is what ought to have been done before the crime grew out of hand. 

That was how our forefathers used to do when confronted with situations that threatened the peace and security of their towns and communities. 

They would consult Ifa priests to find the root of the matter after which they would perform some sacrifices as it was recommended. 

What they have just done is a way to find lasting solution to the matter and I am very sure the solution is here. 

Consultation normally reveals whether there is even a taboo long forgotten in the town but which needed to be avoided. 

When this finding is done and sacrifices are made, evil forces causing the problem would be eliminated from the town. 

We can all see that after the intervention of the traditionalists, the suspects have been arrested in large number. 

Of course, you people would ascribe the breakthrough to the police and other local security groups and forget what is underneath. 

We are used to this anyway.

You sound here like a protester. 

You are used to what?

I mean we are used to receiving no reward for what we do.

Unfortunately for the public, we are the reality.

Can you expatiate on this?

What I am saying is that those who refuse to acknowledge us in the public still find their way down here to seek one assistance or the other. 

That is what I mean by saying we are the reality. 

I should not go beyond this in order for those involved not to be embarrassed. 

But I can tell you sincerely that they do come here for consultations and we assist them. 

My joy is that we don’t go to them and they will never see us at their worship places. 

Are we now not the reality?

You took after your father and you are successful. 

Is there any of your children also taking after you?

I am happy for that. 

My father never saw me doing it but the story has changed now. 

My children are very proud of Ifa as you can see them around me. 

That is the beauty of it. 

It is also an assurance that we are doing it right.

Comments